Essays are the most critical part of the application package for business schools that showcase those aspects of the applicants’ profile which other parts of their application package do not reveal.
B-schools use essays as tools to know their prospective candidates outside of the typical academic and professional environment.
When working with the B-school applicants on their application essays in the past five years, I have come across the following ten common mistakes which, I believe, can be easily avoided with careful thought and preparation!
- Insufficient Time
- Failure to Comprehend the Essay Prompt
- Lack of Stories / real-life experiences
- Inadequate Structure / Organization
- Lack of Specific Details
- Use of Jargon
- Use of Passive Voice
- Writing Quotations
- Too many sentences starting with the word ‘I’
- Grammar, sentence structure, and punctuation errors
Read more about MBA Application Essays – 10 Common Mistakes You Should Avoid by clicking here.