2017 Annual Conference: Sessions and Schedule
Welcome to the AIGAC Conference Sessions and Schedule page! As our conference approaches, we are receiving more exiting details on the sessions and daily schedules. Stay tuned for updates as more information becomes available.
Sunday, June 18
The Graduate Berkeley (formerly Hotel Durant), California Room
- 6:00 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – New Member Recognition Reception (all attendees invited)
- 7:00 p.m.– 9:00 p.m. – Welcome Reception (all attendees invited) sponsored by Prodigy Finance
Monday, June 19 – All Schools Day, hosted by Berkeley Haas.
- 7:45 a.m. – Walk over to Berkeley Haas from The Graduate Hotel
- 8:00 a.m. – 8:45 a.m. – Breakfast
- 8:45 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. – Welcome (President, Conference Chair, Berkeley Haas)
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. – MBA Applicant Survey Analysis
- 9:45 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – BREAKOUT-GROUPS (SESSION #1) – APPLICANT CASE STUDY
We will analyze a fictional case study of a hypothetical candidate’s application to a fictional MBA program. The exercise is meant to enable a discussion of fit, both for candidates and schools, and the nuances important in application evaluation. The case will be provided at the conference registration that morning. This session is free-flowing, conversational and social-media free (no tweeting, recording, etc.).
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Visas & Global Career Mobility
With greater geographical movement among MBA candidates post-graduation, our vision for this panel is a discussion about students’ global career choices. We would like to begin by discussing visa policies across panelist countries and then discuss career services practices and trends in employment and career trajectory. Are there new trends in employment following greater MBA global business skills training and programming? Are students moving around the world more frequently for careers, by choice or by necessity?
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Lunch
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. – Evolving Curricula and the Admissions Process
In this panel, we will address the relationships between career demands, school curricula, and the admissions process. How are industry needs, such as global readiness and analytics, and developing fields, such as financial technology, influencing curricula? How are these curriculum changes reflected in admissions processes, both internally and externally? In what ways can applicants demonstrate their readiness for these curricula?
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – BREAKOUT-GROUPS (SESSION #2) – AIGAC & YOU
This annual favorite returns with a chance to get to know each other better and for you to ask us questions to learn about the work of admissions consultants and our perceptions of the admissions process. This session is free-flowing, conversational and social-media free (no tweeting, recording, etc.).
- 3:15 p.m. – 4:15 p.m. – New/Unconventional Tools for Evaluation
Our vision for this panel is to discuss the role of unconventional or new application elements, such as videos, team-based interviews and online courses, that are broadening schools’ ability to understand and evaluate applicants and applicants’ ability to express themselves. Why has your committee chosen to pursue this direction? What is the impact of these tools on the admissions process – and are there other ways on the horizon to evaluate applications?
- 4:15 p.m. – 4:45 p.m. – Close out, announce 2018
- 4:45 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. at the University Club
- 4:45 p.m. – 7:00 p.m. – Reception hosted by Berkeley Haas
- 7:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Dessert and Champagne Toast sponsored by ETS GRE
Tuesday, June 20
- Berkeley Haas morning tour and programming
- 8:00 a.m. – 8:30 a.m. – Breakfast
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. – Haas Overview & Meet the Team (Wells Fargo)
- 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. – Interactive roundtable discussions (4 rotations, 15 mins each) with Haas staff from admissions, student services, and academic affairs (Wells Fargo)
- 10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Ask admissions anything, Q&A (Wells Fargo)
- 10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Break
- 10:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. – Career management overview (Classroom TBD)
- 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. – Student life story salon (Classroom TBD)
- 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Mini campus tour (Haas and adjacent areas)
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. – Lunch with admissions and students (Faculty Club)
- AIGAC Afternoon
- 1:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. – AIGAC State of the Organization
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. – AIGAC Speed Dating
Members get to know as many people as possible, and have fun in the process; demonstrate that agility is a core skill for admissions consultants
- 3:10 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – AIGAC Values
Understand the history and purpose of our Principles, and how to apply them to improve our businesses and AIGAC as a whole
- 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. – Client Management
Members can share tough cases (w/o breaking client confidentiality) and best practices; in the process, members can build rapport with each other by realizing how many of the client management and self-care issues we face are universal; members can identify thought leaders within the organization, and perhaps also build a resource library
- 6:30 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. – Networking Dinner at Skates on the Bay, sponsored by Veritas Prep
Wednesday, June 21
- 7:15 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. – Board motor coach for School tours. Bring your luggage to be stored under bus.
- 8:00 a.m. – Motor coach departs Berkeley promptly at 8:00am
- 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Wharton SF
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:45 a.m. – Welcome to Wharton/Presentation on the Program & Admissions for the Wharton Executive MBA Program
- 9:45 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Entrepreneurship@Wharton – for this presentation we will be joined via telepresence by our colleagues in Penn Wharton Entrepreneurship
- 10:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. – Break
- 10:45 a.m. – 11:15 a.m. Tour of Wharton SF
- 11:15 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Wharton Full-time MBA Admissions Conversation – Frank DeVecchis will speak about the admissions process, likely to be joined by a colleague or two in Philadelphia via telepresence
- 12:00 p.m. – 12:30 p.m. – Motor coach boarding
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. – Motor coach to Stanford; departs promptly at 12:30pm
- 1:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. – Stanford GSB & MSx
- 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. – Presentations from admission and programs team
- 4:30 p.m. – 5:15 p.m. – Campus tour
- 5:15 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. – Dinner with directors & alumni hosted by Stanford
- 7:00 p.m. – 10:30 p.m. – For those continuing south for out overnight in San Luis Obispo, we will depart promptly at 7:00pm. For attendees not wishing to continue south on the motor coach, you will need to arrange travel plans from Stanford’s campus to the Los Angeles area for arrival by 2pm on Thursday – you can easily fly out of SFO or SJC.
Thursday, June 22
- 2:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. – Professional Business Development Sessions at UCLA Anderson. Thursday full programming still to be announced.
- 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m. – Networking Dinner at Napa Valley Grille in Westwood
Friday, June 23 – Morning tour and presentations at UCLA Anderson.
- 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. – Networking breakfast, sponsored by Agos Japan
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. – Welcome by Gary Fraser, Asst Dean of Student Affairs at UCLA Anderson
- 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. –Global Management opportunities at UCLA Anderson, Professor Gonzalo Freixes
- 10:30 a.m. – 10:45 a.m. – Break
- 10:45 a.m. – 11:45 a.m. – Social Media and Innovation, Professor George Ingersoll
- 11:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. – Lunch with Discussion from Parker Career Management Center
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. – <Parker Career Management Center TBD>
- 2:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. – Closing
This year’s conference promises to bring exciting sessions content which will enable us consultants and our admissions colleagues to dialogue as a group about the impact of recent worldwide social, economic, technological and political shifts on our industry and profession! This year, Breakout Sessions, an annual conference favorite will be returning – and there will be plenty of time for frank, respectful conversations between us consultants and admissions colleagues to learn from each other. Stay tuned for more sessions and schedule information!